System Gas Controller has the responsibility to control and maintain the integrity of the Gas Transmission system. They forecast system load demands on a continuous basis and determine the necessary gas supply requirements utilizing storage fields and daily throughput. The System Gas Controller works closely with and under direct supervision of the Gas Control Supervisor to ensure that the Transmission Pipeline system operations are consistent during outages, planned shut downs, pigging operations, and conform with established procedures so that customer needs are satisfied.
- Ensures that data in SCADA system is continuously updating and is accurate by monitoring thousands of analog, rate, and status data points through historical comparisons and statistical analysis. In the event of lost communications, coordinates with SCADA group, Network Operations, and field personnel to aid in troubleshooting and resolving radio, satellite, and telecom outages.
- Monitors gas quality at supply receipt points and critical points in the pipeline system and takes appropriate steps to ensure gas supplies remain within specifications.
- Strictly adheres to the principles of control room management, including but not limited to; the response to a changed condition with an appropriate action, notification of other personnel of the status of operation, maintenance of accurate and thorough documentation, and management of distractions and fatigue.
- Is trained and prepared to control the transmission pipeline system from emergency back-up locations according to the Gas Control Emergency Manual in the event of the loss of Spence Street facility and/or SCADA system. Tests and ensures that emergency backup facilities are operational in the event of an emergency that could render the Spence street control facility inoperable.
- Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
- Monitors, analyzes and controls the SoCal Gas and SDG&E Transmission Pipeline Systems with the use of the Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) system. Directs and issues orders to operators at all manned compressor stations and storage fields.
- Operates/monitors/controls telemetrically controlled valves, unmanned compressor stations, and interstate tie-ins to ensure scheduled out-of-state deliveries are met, customer gas supply needs are satisfied, and pipeline pressure parameters are maintained within established limits. Maintains an auditable electronic log of transmission system operations.
- Coordinates with and directs field personnel during routine maintenance and unplanned outages. Prevent, detect, and initiate response to any abnormal operating conditions.
- Continually forecasts system load. Uses an Excel based worksheet to balance total system inventory with system demand profiles. Strategizes operations using system demand profiles, storage field injection / withdraw capacities, pipeline capacities and out-of-state scheduled rates.
- Precise phone communication ability and computer use a necessity.
- Due to the critical nature of job, constant vigilance must be maintained while working 12 hour rotating shifts.
- Must be able to work closely and cohesively with gas control supervisor.
- A Department of Transportation Operator Qualification Certificate will be awarded after comprehensive training and demonstrated competency.
- Meter and regulation, compressor station, storage field, and pipeline experience. Preferred
- Must have understanding of thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and general mechanical knowledge.
- Must maintain strong analytical and conceptual ability while working under stressful conditions for extended periods.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Los Angeles Metropolitan Area
Application Deadline: N/A