Provides and supervises outside counsel in providing, legal services to support a wide range of real estate and commercial activities of the company. This includes real estate matters generally (including leases, licenses, easements and other rights-of-way, acquisitions and dispositions, and franchise agreement issues unique to utilities) and commercial transactions for a gas utility, such as infrastructure construction and operation, gas commodity purchasing and trading activities, gas storage and interstate pipeline capacity transactions, utility tariff customer contracts, investment & RD&D transactions, financings and collateral, corporate governance and other corporate matters, intellectual property licensing, brand protection and marketing, oil & gas and antitrust, with some exposure to environmental issues.
- Interact regularly with internal clients and understand the goals and sensitivities of client groups.
- Ensure that law department management and/or business unit leadership stays regularly informed regarding matters assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
- Providing and supervising preventive law and compliance guidance to multiple client groups.
- Advises internal client groups and assists in formulating and implementing objectives, plans, policies and procedures pertaining to real estate and commercial activities.
- Acts as lead or second chair counsel drafting and negotiating contracts in a wide variety of disciplines.
- Ability to identify and address legal issues in ongoing operations and new business ventures.
- Clear and accurate writing with attention to detail.
- Personal and professional integrity of the highest order.
- Ingenuity and analytical ability.
- Maturity in judgement.
- Tact and diplomacy.
- Knowledge in commercial law, with the ability to apply this knowledge accurately to various legal situations affecting client groups.
- Communicate in a clear, concise, understandable manner, both orally and in writing; ability to convey complex legal issues.
- Ability to work cross functionally and build consensus among various stakeholders.
- Developed business sense with ability to quickly understand the company’s business operations and assess and anticipate legal and risk issues impacting operations.
Qualification & Experience:
- Experience with the utility industry and local governmental law is desirable. Preferred
- JD (Juris Doctor) Graduation from an accredited law school. Top academic credentials strongly desired. Required
- 3+ years – Relevant experience, including experience in real estate law. Required
- Experience at a reputable law firm and/or in-house counsel in a commercial or real estate focused legal department. Required
- Experience with contract analysis, drafting and negotiating for a wide range of real estate, commercial, and/or corporate contracts is preferred. Preferred
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Los Angeles Metropolitan Area
Application Deadline: N/A