Journeyman Linemen are responsible for building and maintaining electric power systems and for restoring electric service to commercial, industrial, agricultural and residential customers. They are expected to test, frame and set poles; climb poles, work in confined spaces; splice and terminate cables. Our Lineman will have had successfully completed a federal or state sanctioned apprenticeship (with approved supporting documentation) and/or IBEW sponsored line worker apprenticeship. Work is predominantly outdoors and in all weather conditions. Linemen must be able to drive safely, work extended hours; travel/transfer to new headquarter upon request at any time (General Construction Positions), and wear company provided Personal Protective Equipment.
- Hangs and energizes transformers.
- Take voltage readings.
- Travels to various job locations within geographical assigned region (for General Construction).
- Reviews job work requirements and provides input regarding work for the day.
- Performs substation switching; installs and replaces switches, circuit protection equipment, insulators, meters and streetlights.
- Lifts, pulls and carries insulators, cross-arms, equipment, tools, grounds, dampers, and other materials to and from job sites.
- Climb poles using boot hooks or aerial lift.
- Loads and unloads tools, materials and supplies into and out of vehicles at crew headquarters and job site.
- Loads and unloads tools, materials, and equipment off of hand lines while standing on elevated structures that include: Wood poles and insulated work platforms.
- Tests, frames; sets and/or anchors poles; strings electric power lines and install cross-arms.
- Completion of a federal or state sanctioned line worker apprenticeship with approved supporting documentation (e.g. IBEW Journeyman Lineman A Ticket) and/or union or union-affiliated sponsored line worker apprenticeship
- Ability to travel and transfer to a new headquarter upon request at any time; throughout the entire PG&E service territory
- Capable to work extended hours, nights, weekends and holidays
- Ability to work and drive in all types of weather and road conditions
- Ability to lift and carry up to 100 pounds
- Must have passed a California DMV medical exam by first day of employment
- Ability to wear company provided Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Must possessed a valid California Class A driving permit by first day of employment
Qualification & Experience:
- High School diploma, GED or equivalent work experience
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Experienced in rubber gloving and hot stick procedures
- Experience in transmission and distribution work, underground and numerous voltages
Company: Pacific Gas and Electric Company
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Bakersfield, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A