Website City of Laredo
Maintains City vehicles and equipment such as heavy trucks, landfill heavy equipment, graders, backhoes, loaders, etc. Performs various services to City vehicles, such as: brake jobs, repairs on hydraulic systems, transmission repairs, and preventive maintenance.
- Must be familiar with Caterpillar, Cummins, Detroit, and Volvo engines including all accessories such as turbo and fuel injection systems.
- Must be able to work on drive train including rear ends, transmissions, clutches, auxiliary/gear boxes, and PTO’s (power take-off) on various types of heavy equipment including on and off-road.
- Must be proficient in installation of brake systems including all air and hydraulic systems on all City equipment which includes backhoes, loaders, excavators, and landfill type equipment.
- Must be proficient in repairs of all electrical systems, such as: heating and A/C systems, lights, and truck computers.
- Must be familiar with manual steering gears, power steering, and tandem axle suspensions.
- Must be familiar with at least 10 trucks chassis maintained by City Fleet division.
- Responsible for all oil changes, transmission services, coolant service, lube, minor repairs, oil sampling, lighting repairs, and tire pressures.
- Assists in maintaining good communication between staff, visitors, and other business contacts.
- Must follow all rules of radio and telephone communications.
- Will be required to drive a City vehicle for City business use.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of and familiar with Caterpillar, Cummins, Detroit, Paccar, Case, and John Deere including all accessories such as turbo and fuel injection systems.
- Knowledge of mechanical and computer systems.
- Ability to apply technical knowledge and produce quality work.
- Ability to make independent decisions in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Ability to maintain good planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to maintain a valid Texas Driver License and a good driving record.
- Ability to project a positive and professional image of the City of Laredo.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing in the English language and orally in the Spanish language.
- Ability to comply with all City of Laredo policies and procedures.
- Ability to maintain good health and physical condition sufficient to permit the full performance of the duties of the position.
Qualification & Experience:
- At least one (1) year of custodial or general maintenance experience.
- Valid Texas Driver License
Company: City of Laredo
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Other
Job Location: Laredo, TX, US
Application Deadline: N/A