Website The City of Bakersfield
Under administrative direction is responsible for planning and directing the general operation of municipal solid waste collection, including treatment, disposal, diversion, and recycling programs; plans, organizes, integrates, directs and coordinates activities of the Solid Waste Division; provides assistance to the Department Head with work of great complexity and sensitivity; makes public presentations and responds to public inquiries; acts as the division head and is assigned responsibility for specific functional areas; provides policy guidance and maintains cooperative relationships with community groups, intergovernmental agencies and City staff. Under direction, acts for Department Head in their absence.
- The following typical tasks and responsibilities are representative of all positions in the class.
- They are descriptive, not limiting. Directs activities of the Solid Waste Division which includes solid waste collection, treatment, disposal, diversion and recycling programs; represents the City in contacts with federal, state, county and local agencies involved with solid waste, environmental matters, landfill issues, recycling, safety and other matters of concern;
- Oversees waste diversion program, including contract solid waste haulers and City crews;
- Oversees conversion of solid waste collection to an automated program; works with County and State on solid waste diversion issues; recommends policy and procedures to address legislated requirements and mandates; administers policy as established by the City Council;
- Confers with and advises division superintendent on problems related to the collection and disposal of solid waste;
- Sevelops and administers the Division’s annual budget; interacts extensively with the public; prepares special reports.
- May serve as Department Head from time-to-time on a relief basis.
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Business or Public Administration, Engineering or related field; AND
- Five years progressively responsible experience in the management of solid waste operations or related managerial experience;
- Additional post-graduate education in the above-mentioned areas may be substituted for the experience on a year for year basis to a maximum of two years.
- A valid California Class “C” driver’s license
Company: The City of Bakersfield
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Other
Job Location: Los Angeles, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A