Website City of Anaheim
The City of Anaheim Public Utilities Department is seeking professionals to work as Electric Systems Designers in the Transmission and Distribution Electric Capital Projects Division. Candidates must demonstrate they have electric utility design experience, and fully understand the engineering and construction requirements of transmission and distribution systems.
- Design electrical schematics that include transformers, switches, capacitors, cables, poles, fault indicators, splices, street lights and other electrical materials. Calculate transformer size, cable length, voltage drop, and other power requirements necessary to serve new electrical demand.
- Assist in the construction coordination of assigned projects; ensure conformance with contract plans and specifications; make recommendations on the approval of progress payments and change orders.
- Meet with engineers, planners, developers and outside utility agencies and organizations to determine distribution system layout, prepare work plans, and coordinate construction activities.
- Prepare or review designs for related substructures on private property and along roadways such as the alignment and quantity of conduits; locations and sizes of vaults and their end wall configurations; cable pull boxes; Utility poles; and identify easement / access requirements for Utility equipment.
- Investigate, analyze, and determine the most efficient and economical distribution and transmission routes; provide electrical demand and consumption calculations; conduct field investigations to identify known underground facilities and utilities; consult with property owners, other agencies, and local, county and state representatives to obtain necessary easements and encroachment permits.
- Respond to inquiries and requests by utility customers, outside agencies and organizations, and other City departments and divisions.
- Prepare preliminary and final plans, designs, cost estimates, schedules and specifications, and bill of materials for capital improvement and street light projects.
- Analyze potential load requirements; prepare AutoCAD drawings for developers; coordinate and oversee the development of construction plans; determine material requirements and project fee schedules.
- Coordinate construction drawings, material requirements, and project schedules with internal and external City construction crews and inspectors.
- Design, prepare, and initiate work orders for the installation of overhead and underground transmission and distribution facilities for new electrical demand at commercial, industrial and residential developments.
- Possess knowledge of principles of electrical distribution and transmission system design; basic principles of electrical theory; electric utility operation and construction practices; field inspection procedures; principles of mathematics used in engineering calculations; office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and applicable software applications such as Auto Cad, word processing, spreadsheets, and databases; construction practices and materials; pertinent federal, state and local laws, codes and regulations.
- A minimum of two years of experience in the construction and/or design of electrical utility transmission and distribution systems supplemented by completion of the twelfth grade and college level course work or specialized training in electrical engineering or a related field. An equivalent combination of experience and education sufficient to perform the essential job functions and provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying.
- Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in electrical engineering and Engineer-In-Training Certificate is desirable, but not required to be considered for this position.
- Possess the ability to plan, lay out and prepare work orders, cost estimates and work schedules; prepare construction plans and reports; design electrical transmission, distribution and street light systems; understand and interpret engineering construction plans, drawings, calculations, specifications, and contract documents; adapt to changing technologies and learn functionality of new equipment and systems; communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; and establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Possess an appropriate, valid driver’s license
Company: City of Anaheim
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Anaheim, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A